Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Apple Powerbook - the saga continues...

Well, the Powerbook went in for service. They checked the HDD, found it to be physically okay, reinstalled the OS, replaced the superdrive (it didn’t burn DVDs for the last 6 months) and replaced the battery so it didn’t blow-up.

I got the laptop home and decided the first thing to do would be to check it with DiskWarrior again. DW found about 50 directory errors on the new install but hung when replacing the directory structure – “uh-huh” I thought, here we go again. Anyway, a force-quit of DW later and the laptop was still running. I started to copy about 25 Gb of files to it so I could free up a firewire drive to re-partition into 10 Gb to take a clone of my fresh system, 100 Gb to take a clone of my system once I got everything back up and running, and a partition of the remaining space for data.

Okay. Then reboot the laptop again and… nothing… The same grey screen of death with a apple logo I had before sending in the computer for repair. Booting up from a firewire clone and I can again no-longer see my laptops HDD on the desktop. DiskWarrior can see the disk and verify its SMART status but a recovery of the disk hadn’t moved after being left to run overnight.

So. The laptop will go back to apple again today with a strong push from me to replace the HDD. Fingers crossed.

No comments: