Sunday, December 03, 2006

ATM cards and Big Brother watching you

I used my ATM card once when I got to Thailand a few weeks ago to take out cash. It worked the first time but the next few times I tried it, over several days in various ATM machines it was rejected. I called my bank and they said it had been blocked (not cancelled - don't panic) because they had recorded a single cash withdraw transaction in Thailand, which they regard as a country with high fraud risk.

I've also had credit cards blocked due to first-time use in a new country - it now seems a necessity to notify your bank and creditcard companies about all your travel plans ahead of time. Not content with monitoring you after the event they now want to know about where you are going beforehand. When they say they are monitoring against fraud they try to make you feel like the guilty party - all doubtless in the name of the war on terror? Wonder what would happen if you told them you were going to somewhere dodgy, say Tadjikistan, and were going to make several 5-figure transactions... Would you see people in suites and dark-glasses following you onto the plane? Would you even be allowed onto the plane????

Scary.

No comments: